Advertisement

Jennifer Meyer Always Knew What She Wanted to Do

Jennifer Meyer has built a successful jewelry empire, but long before her pieces found their way to Jennifer Aniston in 2006’s The Break-Up and Meghan Markle during the first official photo with baby Archie, Meyer got her professional start working right here at Glamour as the magazine’s beauty and fitness editor in the early 2000s under former editor in chief Bonnie Fuller.

Still, Meyer says she always loved the idea of designing jewelry and knew by her late 20s that she needed to give her dream a shot. But it was a conversation with then boyfriend actor Tobey Maguire that sealed the deal. After he asked her, “What do you really want to do?” Meyer vocalized her dream of designing jewelry. 

His response? A little inspiration from Star Wars’s Yoda: “Do or do not. There is no try. Just go and do it.” 

“And somehow I figured it out,” Meyer says. Keep reading for the latest edition of our Doing the Work series with Jennifer Meyer, who shares how she handles busy days, her go-to thank-you gift, and her typical daily routines. 

Glamour: What time do you get up? 

Jennifer Meyer: I’m up around 6:15. 

What’s your typical morning routine?

From 6:15 to 7:00 a.m. is quiet time in my house. That’s my catch-up [time to] look at what texts I haven’t returned, catch up on emails, read the news, read CNN, take a quick look at Instagram. I really try my best not to go too deep into that hole, but, you know, every now and then it sort of spins you out. At about 7:15, the kids [ages 12 and 15] start getting ready for school, so it’s a lot of “Do you have your homework? Do you have your backpack packed?” It’s really mayhem, I’m not gonna lie. It’s still “Mom, make me breakfast! Mom, where are my jeans? Mom, did you see my red Converse?” I take my kids to school almost every morning. I’m done with two drop-offs around 8:30 a.m. 

Are you a breakfast person? If so, what do you eat?

It really depends. I love a breakfast. I’m down for an eggs Benedict, but obviously there’s no time in the morning to cook myself eggs Benedict. Usually before I take them to school, I’m not eating, but I’m grabbing my coffee for the ride, always. I just like black coffee. Nothing makes me happier.

Your first childhood dream job?

That’s a good question. Honestly, I loved fashion and I loved magazines, and I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do or how I wanted to do it, but I knew I wanted to be involved in that world some way, shape, or form. And I got to do both.

Your first actual job? 

Glamour magazine was my first actual professional job out of college. In high school and in college I did everything from working as a salesgirl at a store called Tracey Ross for many years, which was a supercool boutique in Los Angeles. I worked as a P.A. getting people coffee on movie sets. And I worked at CAA in the mailroom.



Jennifer Meyer Always Knew What She Wanted to Do
Pinas Flash Report

Post a Comment

0 Comments