Advertisement

Will Smith Resigns From the Academy After Slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars

Following his public apology, Will Smith has decided to resign from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nearly one week after slapping comedian Chris Rock at the 2022 Oscars.

“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct,” Smith said in a statement on April 1, per People. “My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy.”

He continued, “I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”

Getty

The Academy has accepted Will Smith’s resignation but will continue with its “disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith,” according to a statement from David Rubin, the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Academy’s next scheduled board meeting will take place on April 18.  

According to CNN, Smith’s resignation means that the actor is no longer eligible to vote in future Oscars but can still be awarded for his own future work. 



Will Smith Resigns From the Academy After Slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars
Pinas Flash Report

Post a Comment

0 Comments